Saturday, February 9, 2008

The One Decision a Man Could Make For His Wedding

The planning of the wedding sets roles for the marriage. If the future wife makes all of the important decisions when planning the wedding, she will MOST likely wear the pants in the family. The problem is most men do not care about many of the decisions that are needed when planning a wedding. The wedding colors, the flowers, the location are decisions that most men do not care about.

So what decision does a man make? I found the caterer. Finding the caterer was a big enough decision to keep the respect of my future wife and gain the respect of all her friends. I did not choose the menu the caterer did. I found a true professional. My caterer has restaurant experience on three continents on his way to earning the title of Executive Chef. If you want to find the best restaurants in the Washington, DC area, go to the restaurants he lists on his resume. When I choose my caterer, I choose a world class chef. My caterer supplied a menu that was so far above the usual wedding menu of boiled chicken and baked fish, it was like eating at a four star restaurant.

So how did I find my caterer? Thumbing through the phone book is not a recommended way to find a truly great caterer. Looking on the web is not a good method to find one either. I looked for my caterer at every event that I went to over the years. If I liked the food at a wedding, I would take a minute to talk to the chef. If the food was not good, I would not waste my time. I found my chef cooking at a small party. After two minutes I was sold. I took his card and held it. That was two years ago.

What was it that sold me on my caterer? He is a food geek. How do I know? Once you get my caterer talking about food he cannot stop. He talks about food the way a Ferrari mechanic talks about cars. I asked him a simple question. If you were going to cook the perfect meal, what would you make? We talked for a few minutes and before he was called back to his duties, most of the women at the party were standing around us. It was like watching a master magician tell his magic secrets to a group of amateurs. I know just enough about food to order at most restaurants. I am not an expert and do not have the ability to judge an expert chef from what he says. I choose my caterer by how he talked about food and how the women at the party were glued to him.

So how do you find the caterer for your wedding?

(1) Search for the caterer at the events that you attend. If you like the food, talk to the chef. Talk to the chef about food. If he or she is a food geek that is a good sign. I define a food geek as someone who knows more about food than a farmer. If the person talks about foreign spices like an average high school student talks about the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, that person is a food geek. If the chef impresses any of the other cooks in the room that is a good sign.

(2) Search for the caterer, by talking to your local florists. If a florist recommends a caterer, that is a good sign.

(3) Go to a fundraiser. Ask the organizer for a recommendation. The better the fundraiser, the better the chef. Fundraising coordinators will have experience with many different chefs.

Do not rely upon these recommendations alone. Check out the caterer. Do an interview. Bring someone who knows food. To be blunt, it almost does not matter what the chef says, the only thing that really matters is the food. Have the chef bring samples. Finally, you are paying for the food; why not ask for a recipe. My chef has given me several simple recipes that I can prepare for my wife. I have not tried yet, but I will sometime.

Copyright 2006 Andrew Horan

Andrew Horan is getting married so you can read about his wedding at http://www.myhoranwedding.com . Feel free to learn about his caterer at http://www.dalmatinocatering.com .Bibleverse
Rss
Rss
Biblecourse
Valentinepoem
Rss
Billrichardson4
Mittromney7
Valentinepoetry
Rudygiuliani32

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home